7/24/2013 1 Comment
5 Habits of Healthy Eaters
I love food and I believe eating should be something we enjoy and look forward to! I'm not an expert by any means, but when I follow the 5 steps below I manage to eat pretty well without too much worry.
1. Keep healthy foods in plain sight! On the counter, in a fruit basket, or at the front of the fridge. On the other hand, pack up sweets and place them in the cupboard with the doors closed.
2. Prepare! Choose a day to plan meals, look up recipes, and grocery shop for the week. If you have time, take it one step further and chop your veggies and pack food into portions.
3. Start with a salad. This applies to both eating out and at home. While everyone else is munching on bread or chips, get in a serving of vegetables. A simple salad we do very often is:
Strawberries, Apples, or Pears
Dried cranberries (optional)
4. Avoid distracted eating. Move away from the TV, computer or phone and give food the attention it deserves! I'm currently breaking myself of eating and driving...bags of almonds disappear way too fast ;)
5. Enjoy your food and move on with your day. Whether you made a good or bad choice, it's done. You'll have many, many more chances.
Cookies, candy and cake taste great, but most of them don't have any nutritional benefits. They leave me wanting more and contribute to my sugar monster! So, I've been throwing healthy & delicious recipes together and hoping for the best. For the most part I've been successful. Let's call it skills rather than luck ;)
The measurements below are somewhat estimates. I'll make this again soon and edit if needed. Btw, this recipe was inspired by Max Shank. Thanks for sharing your love for pumpkin!
Single Serve Paleo Pumpkin Pie
1/4 C Almond meal
1 Tbsp butter
3/4 C canned pumpkin (cold)
Handful frozen blueberries
Handful shredded unsweetened coconut
~10 pecan pieces
Sprinkle of cinnamon
1. Melt the butter
2. Add almond meal, mix, and press into bottom of a small bowl to form a crust
3. Scoop pumpkin into crust
4. Top with blueberries, coconut, pecans, and cinnamon
Let me know if you like it, love it, hate it or completely changed the recipe. Comments appreciated!
I love food and hope you do too! My recipes are simple - buy the highest quality ingredients you can afford and slow down to enjoy the food that is fueling you.
All Breakfast Drinks Food Food Prep Goals Highland Games Hot Jeans Challenge Meal Meal Plan Outfits Paleo Protein Recipes Tips Treat Veggies Water Workouts
Sign up for free recipes and workouts!
Photo used under Creative Commons from Ewan-M