Patience required! No amount of wishful thinking will convince artichokes be ready in 20 minutes...
Yesterday, I was strolling through Trader Joe's trying to decide what to make with my fish for dinner. I spotted a beautiful display of artichokes and to my delight they were $.99 each! I went ahead and selected two of similar size, but couldn't remember if I wanted the leaves to be open or closed - so I chose slightly opened ;)
Tip: Leaves should be tight and the artichoke should squeak when you squeeze it according to this article. Also, prepare artichokes on a night where you have at least an hour to cook.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 40-50 minutes
2 Lemon slices
2 Garlic cloves
1 Bay leaf
1. Prep: Cut about 1/2-3/4 inch off the top of your artichoke and remove the stem and any small leaves at the base. Slice lemon, chop garlic into fourths. Place a few inches of water in a pot, add lemon, garlic, and bay leaf.
2. Place steamer basket with artichokes in pot and bring water to a simmer. Cook for about 40 minutes.
3. Check artichokes- a fork should pierce through the base as smooth as butter! If not, be patient and wait another 5-10 minutes.
4. Remove artichokes and let them cool (I need practice in this dept.) Meanwhile, melt butter in a small dish.
5. EAT! Grab a leaf, dip in butter, and scrape the fleshy part off with your teeth.
6. When you have finished all the edible leaves you have one more job. Remove inner leaves and fuzzy choke (DONT EAT IT!) Below that your will find a treasure...the heart! Enjoy.
Please review or share any delicious artichoke recipes in the comments.
No need to spend $5 on those miniature bags of kale chips at the health food stores. You can buy a large amount of kale for about $2. This recipe is easy, quick, and can be flavored according to your taste buds. Always make more than you think you need...at our house we always finish every last piece!
Remove stems and tear kale into large chip size pieces
(any kale will do, but my favorite is curly green)
Toss in olive oil
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder (or get creative w/ your spice combo)
Spread on greased cookie sheet
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes
Try sprinkling with cinnamon & sugar for a sweet kale treat!
Easy and delicious! Let me know what spice combinations you come up with.
I love food and hope you do too! My recipes are simple - buy the highest quality ingredients you can afford and slow down to enjoy the food that is fueling you.
Sign up for free recipes and workouts!